/************** REMOVE THIS TO UNHIDE THE BLOGGER NAVBAR **************** **/ #b-navbar {height:0px;visibility:hidden;display:none} /** *************************************************************************
June 13, 2006
posted by David Meigs at 6/13/2006 03:14:00 AM
Last Sunday was the 50th anniversary of a church where I spent 5 years as Youth Pastor. I saw people I hadn’t seen in almost 12 years. Everyone’s hair was a little grayer; the youth of yesteryear now had children of their own. I even had the honor of conducting some of their weddings.

It was fun to play catch-up. Several of the kids went into fulltime ministry and unfortunately, a few seem to have wandered from the path. Some roads have a lot of turns in them. But God is not finished with them yet.

But when Chuck walked up to the mike and gave his testimony, it made my day. Forget that, it made my year. He told of how fifteen years ago, his daughters attending youth group changed the whole family.

It was a dark time in their lives. He’d hurt his back and could no longer work. Piece by piece, they lost everything. They were desperate for hope. The daughters would come to youth group, sick with worry, but would leave filled with hope.

After youth group, I’d go out to the parking lot to minister to their mom. Vera carried the world on her shoulders and I could see the terror in her eyes. We’d pray and the weight would lift off her shoulders. She’d soak up the living water like a sponge.

After several weeks of Vera’s coaxing, Chuck finally agreed to come in for a counseling appointment. The poor man could hardly make it into my office. It took some doing, but we got him seated. Since the accident, he’d not been able to sit without horrible pain. But to his surprise, the chair he sat on was almost comfortable.

The chair was one of a matched pair of custom made, antique leather-bound chairs. When he told me it was the first time he’d been comfortable, I knew Jesus would want him to have the chair. I gave it to him. It blew him away.

For the next hour, he and his wife poured out their heartaches. The man couldn’t support his family and there was no hope in sight. But that all changed after we bowed our heads in prayer. Dad was not only healed, but he also found Jesus!

Today, Chuck serves as an elder. I was so blessed to see the power of God at work in their lives. God is so good.

The trip down memory lane helped to bring my life into perspective. It was a blast working with kids. But that was then and this is now. I have a new first love, and it is writing. My passion for writing novels flows as deep as was the burden for youth used to burn in my heart.

I’m not sure when I’ll step down from my current position. I guess it will depend on when they can find a replacement. It’s been a blast, but the Lord has other things for me to do.

Sigh.
 



9 Comments:


At Tuesday, June 13, 2006, Blogger Refreshment in Refuge

Oh, David! I know how hard a decision like that is to make. I know how all the tugging feels, being pulled one way and then another. God be praised for He has used you in a mighty way and I know He will continue to use you in a mighty way!

 

At Tuesday, June 13, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Thanks Gina.

Isn’t it funny how the Lord uses the events in our lives to reach others. The Lord used my struggles to make me effective in lifting others from their dysfunctional lives to walk in freedom.

I’ve learned so much about changing lives, and now I am to use it in my calling as a writer. Fiction is a powerful tool, but I don’t think it has been used to its full potential.

I only pray that the Lord can speak through my stubborn heart to listen to His still, small voice. Please lord, speak.

 

At Tuesday, June 13, 2006, Blogger Rulan

wow. What a blessing to have been used of the Lord in that way. Not many get to see the results of the seeds that were planted and watered. God is so awesome.

I have seen firsthand, the wisdom and caring that flows through you from the Lord. All that knowledge and wisdom that He has placed in you, He can and will use for His glory.

In less than one year, the Lord has brought me more healing and freedom than I've had in my whole life and He did it through you, my friend and brother.

Through your everyday, God has reached many, but through your writing, He can reach thousands and thousands!

David, I know the Lord has many books for you to write. Syepping back from youth group will be hard, but the Lord has called you. Go for it!

May He bless you and your family richly as you step out in His calling.

Praise be to God.

 

At Tuesday, June 13, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Wow, Rulan, you’ve given me another huge reason to rejoice. I am blessed to have friends like you. The Lord has good things for you too, my sister.

God bless you!

 

At Tuesday, June 13, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Thanks Karen,

It’s not very often a whole family comes to Christ together. I used to watch kids receive Christ with great joy, only to go home and face ridicule by their parents, brothers and sisters. This family was only one of the many I had been curious about. And still, after all these years, I found myself praying for them. I was stoked to see that they remained faithful. Only Jesus can do that. Praise God!

 

At Tuesday, June 13, 2006, Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun

Praise the Lord, my friend. All good things come with His timing!

You will get there!

 

At Tuesday, June 13, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Thanks Bonnie, wise words from a wise daughter of God.

God bless!

 

At Tuesday, June 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous

curm, i'm so glad you're doing okay. God is good. everything happens for a reason and the best is given to us in His time. i know this truth in my heart although i'm also struggling a bit with my current situation now. but hope is there because of Him, because of His promises. God bless you, curm, as always. =)

 

At Tuesday, June 13, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Thank you Pia, and God bless you too!