/************** REMOVE THIS TO UNHIDE THE BLOGGER NAVBAR **************** **/ #b-navbar {height:0px;visibility:hidden;display:none} /** *************************************************************************
May 24, 2006
posted by David Meigs at 5/24/2006 11:50:00 AM
“Billy tried to kill himself. H-he drank a bottle of ammonia.”

“Is he ok?”

“He survived, but his throat, stomach and sinuses are badly inflamed.”

“What happened? Why did he do it? He was doing so well.”

“He got kicked out of school..., again.”

That told me everything I needed to know. Billy had been kicked out of every school in the county, twice. The principal only let him return this third time, if I agreed to work with him.

If Billy’s mother knew who his father was, she wasn’t saying. In her atheistic, feminist mind, he had no need for a father on earth or in Heaven. He’d been robbed of the basic building blocks of life that every child needs.

I’d like to say that I was able to change this kid’s life forever, but I couldn’t. His dysfunctions were too deeply rooted. He was never able to look beyond the pain of his life without a dad, to see the Heavenly Father’s hands outstretched to him.

For a couple hours each week, I played the role of father, mentor and friend. But I could never fill his missing dad’s shoes. He prayed the sinner’s prayer, but I never saw the spark of new life.

All that was years ago, and his life since then has spiraled ever downward. Someone told me they saw him in an orange jumpsuit, in shackles, being frog-stepped down the courthouse halls. It was crushing news, but I was not surprised.

He’s in God’s capable hands now. We never scored a touchdown, but we moved the ball forward. Someday, the Holy Spirit will cause the seeds I planted to spring to life. Even in prison, God can shape events to move Billy ever closer to salvation.

More tomorrow...
 



9 Comments:


At Wednesday, May 24, 2006, Blogger Rulan

So sad. God is mighty though. He can break down ever stronghold. The Lord caused you and he to cross paths. He did that for a reason.

Seeds were planted. Seeds will be watered. Only God can make those seeds grow.

God bless you for your faithfulness to His calling.

 

At Wednesday, May 24, 2006, Blogger Gary Wood

You have me hooked. I'll be coming back to finish the story. God bless you.

 

At Wednesday, May 24, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

We serve a mighty God!

 

At Wednesday, May 24, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Gary – Oops, you dropped in while I was replying to Rulan’s comments.

I am honored by your visit.

I look forward to seeing you tomorrow.

 

At Wednesday, May 24, 2006, Blogger jel

you had me hooked ! :)
this is a story, or is it real,

you write so good I can't tell if it is non or real!


will be gone tomorrow,but will read it when I get home!

 

At Wednesday, May 24, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Jel – The story is true, but the names are changed.

The topic is about using fiction to change lives.

I’ll tie it together tomorrow.... I hope.

If not, we will finish on Monday... lol

 

At Wednesday, May 24, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Now that you told me about your brother, I can lift him up when I pray for you.

God bless!

 

At Wednesday, May 24, 2006, Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun

There are some people who have to hit bottom first, before God can pick them up. I'll pray for this boy.

 

At Wednesday, May 24, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

He could use your prayers, Bonnie.

Thanks!