/************** REMOVE THIS TO UNHIDE THE BLOGGER NAVBAR **************** **/ #b-navbar {height:0px;visibility:hidden;display:none} /** *************************************************************************
August 10, 2005
posted by David Meigs at 8/10/2005 12:23:00 PM

Finding a bride was less complicated back in 1643. No need for small talk, compatibility tests or Aunt Rosie’s matchmaking skills. Nope. A tobacco farmer could trade a couple of bales for the lass of his choosing. Just pay a visit to the prison ship fresh in from London. The trick was in finding one that would not stick a blade between your ribs while you slept. After all, this was a prison ship.

Andrew bought himself a bride. Naturally, he had to celebrate with the boys for his last night as a single man. Feeling lucky, Andy tried his hand at a friendly game of cards. Little did he know the trouble he won when one man could not pay his losses. Instead, he gave Andy the pink-slip to a beautiful but feisty redhead. All he had to do was to go back to the ship and pick her up.

Grandma was fit to be tied.

How would he explain all this to bride number one?

Hell hath no fury like that of bride number two (who was actually the kidnapped daughter of an earl).

Oh, the sparks are going to fly!

Poor Andy. What was the boy thinking?

I’m talking about “A BRIDE most BEGRUDGING”, the new novel by Deeanne Gist. I’d love to tell you more, but I don’t want to rob you of one precious twist. I admit my face turned a little red under my wife’s taunting gaze as she spied the romance novel in my hands. After all, the curmudgeon is no girly man.

“It’s a historical novel,” I grumbled.

“Of course it is dear.” She teased.

Hey, I didn’t lie..., well not completely. It didn’t matter anyway, because I soon lost myself inside this mischievous little page turner.
My hat is off to Dee, and to the good folks over at Bethany House Publishers. You got yourselves a winner.
I loved it. You’ll love it too! I guarantee it.

Get your copy by visiting the local Christian bookstore, or simply order it online: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764200720

Take a peek at Deeanne’s website:
http://www.deeannegist.com/blog/

 



5 Comments:


At Wednesday, August 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

The Curmudgeon's not a girly man? That's not what I heard!

 

At Wednesday, August 10, 2005, Blogger David Meigs

Hey, drop the anonymity and then challenge me to some push-ups. I dare ya! lol

Thanks for stopping by.

Curm

 

At Wednesday, August 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

Hey,
that book sounds rather fun. I'm not normally into romance, but that one sounds like it has a rather enjoyable twist. lol
And I can imagine the look your wife must have given you. That would have been such fun to see.

 

At Wednesday, August 10, 2005, Blogger David Meigs

Kid,

Thanks for visiting. You are right this is an excellent book!


Curm.

 

At Wednesday, August 10, 2005, Blogger David Meigs

I am not alone. My manly credentials are vindicated (no puns please). Here is a link to another hurly burly guy like myself who also loved this book.

Check it out: http://jeffatwood.typepad.com/atwoodzoo/2005/07/yesi_am_reading.html

Curm