/************** REMOVE THIS TO UNHIDE THE BLOGGER NAVBAR **************** **/ #b-navbar {height:0px;visibility:hidden;display:none} /** *************************************************************************
May 29, 2006
posted by David Meigs at 5/29/2006 12:01:00 AM

If you ever ride bareback alone in the mountains, and you discover a man chained in a deep ravine...

Leave him there.

Run!

Don’t even look back.

I’m talking about the newly released novel, THE HIDDEN, by Kathryn Mackel (WestBow Press). Occasionally, I pick up a book that is difficult to put down. But, this little treat took a hold of me as few ever have.

THE HIDDEN is about Susan Stone, a Harvard educated psychiatrist, who is still reeling from the tragic loss of her son. She returns home to help care for her father’s horse ranch, while the cantankerous old man’s bones mend following a fall from his horse.

But the ranch was no haven of pleasant childhood memories. It was a place of tragic loss and painful relationships. In the mountains, Susan discovers a young man at the bottom of a deep abyss, chained, alone in the darkness.

Add to the mix a grizzly discovery of charred bodies, demonic forces and the love/hate relationships of a dysfunctional family and you have the stage set for a gripping thriller.

Kathryn Mackel has also authored the novels THE SURROGATE, and THE DEPARTED. She is an acclaimed Hollywood screenwriter for Disney and Fox and was on the screenwriting team for Left Behind: The Movie and Frank Peretti’s Hangman’s Curse.


Visit her website to see everything else she’s up to

Buy her book today, at Amazon.com


.......
 



16 Comments:


At Sunday, May 28, 2006, Blogger Rulan

wow. Sounds like a very exciting book. Think I would read it during daylight hours, but then I am easily scared. I'll remember to be careful when I go horse riding. Thanks for the warning to stay away from the abyss.

 

At Sunday, May 28, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

You would like it.

But at night, keep the book in the freezer.

 

At Monday, May 29, 2006, Blogger Refreshment in Refuge

Excellent review, David :)

 

At Monday, May 29, 2006, Blogger M. C. Pearson

I completely loved this book too. Man it was GOOD!

 

At Monday, May 29, 2006, Blogger jel

Does this one have a big shadow in it? like the Oath did? :(

 

At Monday, May 29, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Shades of Hyde River...

Does it have a big shadow?

Maybe...

You have to read it to find out.

Muhahahaaa

 

At Monday, May 29, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Gina & Mimi

I enjoyed both of your reviews!

 

At Monday, May 29, 2006, Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun

this was the first book that I broke my oath on...LOL...There was no way I was reading this puppy on the treadmill! I forget to move my feet often enough, but this moved along so fast that I was off the back twice in the first 30 pages!

 

At Monday, May 29, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Bonnie, I can’t even chew when I walk, and you can read a book!

I am impressed.

 

At Tuesday, May 30, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

jezreel, - Thanks for stopping by!

 

At Tuesday, May 30, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Karen, how are things in the land down under?

Yep, you would enjoy the HIDDEN.

 

At Tuesday, May 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous

It sound really good. If it's better than the oath. I will have toget this one.

 

At Tuesday, May 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous

wow, i already have a long list of books that i got to read. this sure sounds exciting too. =)

 

At Tuesday, May 30, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

PJ, - I don’t think I’d go so far as to say that it is better than THE OATH, but it’s in the same ballpark.

As the loyalist Peretti fan in the world, I’d choke if I were ever to recommend someone’s book over one of Frank’s. The man stood by me in the biggest trial of my life. I owe him big time.

 

At Tuesday, May 30, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Pia, - Forget all the other books. Get THE HIDDEN.

You won’t be sorry!

 

At Tuesday, May 30, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Karen, I bet the silence is driving you batty.

Oh, and I live in a mild climate. The only time it gets cold is when the wife is unhappy.

Thanks for stopping by twice in one day. I am doubly honored.