/************** REMOVE THIS TO UNHIDE THE BLOGGER NAVBAR **************** **/ #b-navbar {height:0px;visibility:hidden;display:none} /** *************************************************************************
January 19, 2006
posted by David Meigs at 1/19/2006 08:58:00 AM
Back when I worked for Youth For Christ, we had the best chaplain ever. Bill Clark had been a missionary since WW2. He went home to be with the Lord a few years ago, but many of his words still echo in my mind.

Old Bill was a notorious prankster with a curmudgeonly sense of humor. In fact, “Curmudgeon” was one of his nicknames. It was in his honor that I took that name as my online persona. I think he’d have been proud.

“Save me a good seat in Heaven big guy; I miss you!”

In WW2, old Bill trained soldiers for the 10th Mountain Division. He used to claim that the genesis of the phrase “reaching the end of my rope” began there.

They would take the trainees to a tall cliff in the dead of night, blindfold them and have them repel down hundreds of feet to the safety of the ground below. However, the rope lacked several feet of making it all the way to the ground.

Can you imagine what it was like to put on a blindfold and slide down a rope off the side of a giant cliff? Then imagine their panic when they reached the “end of their rope”.

After a few seconds of terror, the instructor would tell them to “simply drop” the rest of the way. It required a tremendous amount of trust to simply let go and fall the last few feet. It was a lesson none of them would ever forget.

Have you reached the end of your rope?

Can you hear Jesus saying “Let go”?

 



13 Comments:


At Thursday, January 19, 2006, Blogger Rulan

wow, curm. That would scare me like crazy. eek. That would indeed take amazing trust.

That reminds me of a vision I had a few years back, of the Lord holding out His hand and calling me. He wanted me to let go and step out to where He was. Perhaps I'll post it on my blog sometime.

God bless you and your family, my friend.

 

At Thursday, January 19, 2006, Blogger Rulan

Oh yeah, I meant to say this too. I think old Bill would be very proud of you. You are a fine example of a Godly man. We need more of your kind on this earth.

 

At Thursday, January 19, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Rulan,

Another nickname given Bill was the "Reverend Mother".

I know it is too late, but sometimes I wish I'd taken that callsign instead of Curmudgeon.

 

At Thursday, January 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous

she (Rulan) took the words right out of my mouth, you are a prime example of a godly man!
I'm mighty glad we meet! yap Bill is smiling, down on you, from up above :)
janice

 

At Thursday, January 19, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Janice,

You caught Rulan taking something from your mouth?

Thanks, I’ll keep an eye on her.

 

At Thursday, January 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous

cute ! reel cute CR, you know what I mean :)
janice

 

At Thursday, January 19, 2006, Blogger Rulan

lol, "Reverend Mother". he he If you changed your call sign, it would seem really strange and it would call for an interesting change of "habit." chuckle

Hi janice

 

At Thursday, January 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous

good one :)
Hi, Rulan

 

At Friday, January 20, 2006, Blogger ~michelle pendergrass

Great reminder for me! I need to pass that on to my friend.

I heard a story with much the same weight. My other friend and I often joke with each other when God's got us in a decisive moment. We say, "Just let go of the rope already, wouldja?" And its out little private joke.

 

At Friday, January 20, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Thanks Michelle,

Bill also told of trainee's that didn't pay attention and slid right off the end of the rope.

Can you imagine their terror?

 

At Friday, January 20, 2006, Blogger M. C. Pearson

What a great lesson...I've chills!

I remember in Basic Training having to repel down a 30 foot tower. Scared the boogies out of me and I wasn't even blindfolded! I can't imagine just letting go. I might have tried to climb back up! I have to remember to be brave...let go and let God.

 

At Saturday, January 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous

i heard Him say let go so many times. stubborn me, i wouldn't. i've learned my lessons the hard way.

 

At Saturday, January 21, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Pia,

Learning the hard way is still better than never learning at all!