/************** REMOVE THIS TO UNHIDE THE BLOGGER NAVBAR **************** **/ #b-navbar {height:0px;visibility:hidden;display:none} /** *************************************************************************
January 20, 2006
posted by David Meigs at 1/20/2006 11:59:00 PM
“Do you want to play?”

It was the first day of kindergarten and I was staring into the most beautiful eyes in the world. All the other girls looked like boys compared to this queen of all supermodels and she was talking to me!

I was speechless. I stood there in a trance. My jaw hung open like a broken mailbox. She smiled, knowing well the power her feminine wiles held over me. She owned me and I didn’t care.

After school, we walked hand in hand until we reached my home. Still unable to talk, I pointed at my front door.

“Is this your home?” she asked.

Somehow, I managed a nod. She led me up the porch steps and knocked on the door. My mother opened, and my heart sank. How could I tell her that she no longer held first place in my heart?

“What is your boy’s name? Does he talk? Can he come to my house and play?”

“His name is David and usually he never shuts up. Yes, he can play.”

For weeks, we spent our every moment together. She dressed me up in skirts and made me wear makeup. We played with dolls, skipped rope and I ate mud pies. I didn’t care because I was her slave.

Then one day, the sky came crashing down.

“GO AWAY, YOU ICKY BOY !” She said.

I was devastated. It’s no wonder my life spiraled downward into a blur of self destructive behaviors like drinking, knife fighting, driving recklessly and tearing the warning labels off of mattresses. I became a mercenary, volunteering for every suicide mission. Life didn’t matter anymore.

And then I started first grade...
 



12 Comments:


At Saturday, January 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous

Boy you were bad, it'sa wonder they didn't gave you the chair, 4 tearing the warning labeles, off
the mattresses, :)
janice

 

At Saturday, January 21, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Janice, some things will shame me until I die.

 

At Saturday, January 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous

CR, don't feel like the lone stranger, I got some stuff too!
janice

 

At Saturday, January 21, 2006, Blogger M. C. Pearson

OMG you crack me up so! Go away you icky boy! HA! Oh no, you've sent me into a coughing fit from laughing so hard!!! All your fault, you icky boy! HA HA...oh, here I go again...Oh harpy poop! Heh heh.

 

At Saturday, January 21, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Mimi, Harpy poop? Oh my!

lol - For now it is our inside joke, but someday the whole world will know our stinky secret!

 

At Saturday, January 21, 2006, Blogger Rulan

A cruel word spoken in childhood, can cause a lifetime of pain. If only the world would understand and refrain from it's brutal blows.

In my childhood, my heart was ruthlessly wounded by words that cut me deep. I carried the agony of those ugly names that I had been called all the way into adulthood. It took the love of God and the kindness of dear friends to finally set me free.

God bless you curm. What the enemy meant for harm, will be turned around by God and good shall come.

 

At Saturday, January 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous

Hey rulan, I'm sorry, that you were wounded by the words, I went though it, from jr high though high school, it can cause hurt for a lifetime, until you meet some good people that, that make you feel good about themself, and I want to thank you all for being those people,
janice

 

At Saturday, January 21, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Rulan & Janice,

Everything was true except the mattress-tag removal thing, give or take a lie or two.

 

At Sunday, January 22, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

K. Jimmy, It is always such a blessing when you stop by!

God bless you my friend.

 

At Sunday, January 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous

icky boy?! shucks. words can have a lasting effect in our lives. now look at that "icky boy" now. not icky at all!

God bless.

 

At Monday, January 23, 2006, Blogger Francine Biere

Curm ... this is great. Short, sweet (well, bitter sweet), and so VISUAL. I love it when I read something and my mind plays it in technicolor. Thanks.

Blessings, Francine

 

At Monday, January 23, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Pia, - “Icky Boy?” No problem, I’ve been called worse!


Francine, - Thanks for the kind words. Memory lane is always a fun drive.