/************** REMOVE THIS TO UNHIDE THE BLOGGER NAVBAR **************** **/ #b-navbar {height:0px;visibility:hidden;display:none} /** *************************************************************************
August 24, 2005
posted by David Meigs at 8/24/2005 02:08:00 PM







Marc & Lisa Honorat and baby Asher





Marc and Lisa Honorat are the Founders of Haiti Arise Ministries. I first met them at CLC Church in Port Orchard, Washington just after the birth of their son Asher (1 ½ yrs). My heart burned as Marc shared his experiences growing up in Haiti. He told us about the extreme poverty, corrupt officials and the grip of voodoo over the nation. We saw pictures of a woman selling dirt cookies, which people ate to fill their empty stomachs.

Born as the son of a voodoo priest, he was but one of fifteen children. There was not enough food, so at five years old he was given to a woman in town. My gut wretched as Marc told us how his little heart broke on that day. Neither his mother or father said, “I love you Marc” or gave him one last hug goodbye. Though Marc spoke bravely on, I could see the memories still stabbed at his heart with steely knives.

The next several years of marc’s life was living Hell. Even though the woman who took him was well off by Haitian standards, little Marc was not given clothes to wear and often no food to eat. He slept each night under the kitchen table, and worked hard all day in hope of receiving one meager meal. He was not allowed to eat the same food as the mistress. If she ate rice, he was given cornmeal. If things were tight, and she ate cornmeal, he was given bulgur. There were many days he was given no food at all.

Marc told of one painful day when he was six. He was given no food, and he could not stand the starvation any longer. He took a couple coins from the table and went to the market to buy himself bread. He was caught and returned home to face the mistress. It was pure hell!

For twenty minutes she beat this thirty pound little boy until he was senseless. She used a hardened leather whip/paddle made by the Haitians for the express purpose of beating their slave children. The loud cracking of the paddle and the screaming of the tiny child carried throughout the neighborhood. The worried townsfolk tried to break in to save his life, but she had every window and door securely locked.

On Friday, I will share how Marc’s brother rescued him from his life as a slave child. Please invite your friends to join us here as this powerful story unfolds. I also encourage you to visit the Haiti Arise Website.

God bless you all,

David
 



11 Comments:


At Wednesday, August 24, 2005, Blogger Rulan

Oh David,
you brought tears to my heart.

 

At Wednesday, August 24, 2005, Blogger David Meigs

Thanks Kid,

Our brothers and sisters in Haiti are in need of our prayers.

- David

 

At Wednesday, August 24, 2005, Blogger David Meigs

Donna,

You have blessed my socks off! The Lord is doing something special through His servants at Haiti Arise. Thanks for helping me to spotlight it!

God bless you!

David

 

At Wednesday, August 24, 2005, Blogger jomo

Outstanding blog, Curm. The Haiti story really caught my attention, and I want to hear more. I would like to link to you if agreeable with you. I caught your blog through Donna's note on her blog.
Well done. I like your style.

 

At Wednesday, August 24, 2005, Blogger David Meigs

John,

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, please link up with me. We have to get the word out about Haiti Arise! I like your blog too!

David

 

At Thursday, August 25, 2005, Blogger Francine Biere

David ... what a heart-wrenching story -- for Marc and other children of Haiti. I pray your work is read far and wide so that others may know. Obviously, I'd love to post a link on my blog (and when I get my website up, I'd really like to include it as a link).

Your writing sings, David ... I had no idea where "A Slave no more" was leading. Excellent.

Blessings, Francine

 

At Thursday, August 25, 2005, Blogger David Meigs

Francine,

Thank you for the kind words and your help in getting the word out about Haiti Arise. We have a wonderful opportunity to show a nation without hope, the sustaining love of God. God bless you my friend!

David

 

At Thursday, August 25, 2005, Blogger ~michelle pendergrass

I have to admit that I know virtually nothing about Haiti. What I've learned so far is twisting my heart into knots that I've never known.

Thank you for submitting to our God and Father and getting this story out. God hand is directing this and mighty things happen when God's fingerprints show up.

 

At Friday, August 26, 2005, Blogger David Meigs

Michelle,

My heart was also deeply moved. It may start with sorrow, but it quickly changes to triumph. Our God is doing mighty things in our midst! I hope you come back and bring your friends. I need help getting the word out. God bless you!

- David

 

At Friday, August 26, 2005, Blogger Mr. DUDE MAN

i too have a link on my blog to the curmudgeon's

 

At Saturday, August 27, 2005, Blogger Refreshment in Refuge

David, what a beautifully told, heart-wrenching story. I have been blessed by the story so please tell your friend Marc that God does honor those who bow to Him. The Bible tells us that Jesus is sitting by the right hand of our Father, yet look what Jesus is doing when Stephen was stoned. He was standing! And Stephen was bowing in the perfect position to enter heaven. God's love far surpasses the love of mother or father. Marc is the winner.