/************** REMOVE THIS TO UNHIDE THE BLOGGER NAVBAR **************** **/ #b-navbar {height:0px;visibility:hidden;display:none} /** *************************************************************************
August 04, 2005
posted by David Meigs at 8/04/2005 08:25:00 PM









Nope, it’s my son John.

“Why is he wearing a mustache?”
I don’t know.
“Is he hoping to fool the 7-11 into selling him beer?”

Don’t think so.

“Why the mustache?”

Got me?

I’d love to hear his answer, but he can’t tell me. John is autistic.

“What is it like to have a son like John?”

Heaven, pure Heaven.

“Isn’t it hard on your family?”

Yes! Praise God! It’s the hardest thing we ever went through, and again I say praise God!

“Aren’t you angry at God for allowing this?”

Used to be. Not anymore. Not even a little.

“Huh?”

John is the sweetest ray of sunshine ever to warm this old heart. I would not trade him, autism and all, for every gold brick in Fort Knox. I thank God for him, just the way he is.

So far, he’s not shown any savant abilities such as counting cards or decoding CIA crossword puzzles. He can’t play piano or violin. I don’t know why he won’t eat the ends of hotdogs, or why he chews on soap. I only know that God gave him to us as a blessing. I am so glad He did.
 



7 Comments:


At Friday, August 05, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

I know a few parents who have an autistic child in their families and they all feel the way you do. These children are a blessing. They smile and laugh in church. They wander around and everyone there watches out for them, smiles with them. Those dear children touch many lives, give many smiles, warm many hearts. They recieve many hugs, many smiles. They must be very speciel in the eyes of God. He must delight in their ways. God chooses the families for those speciel wee ones. Heaven will be grand. David, you brought tears of joy to my eyes. God bless you and your family. He chose you wisely. He loves you greatly. He entrusted you and your wife with the children you have.

 

At Sunday, August 07, 2005, Blogger ~michelle pendergrass

I can't WAIT to hear the stories of the blessing that come from your son!!! I'm really looking forward to it.

 

At Monday, August 08, 2005, Blogger David Meigs

The Kid & Michelle,

Thanks for stopping by, and for leaving the kind words! Isn’t it great to be His kids?

 

At Monday, August 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

curmudgeon,
Amen.

 

At Monday, August 15, 2005, Blogger Refreshment in Refuge

This touched me in a most tender way. Thank you.

 

At Monday, August 15, 2005, Blogger David Meigs

Gina,

Thanks for stopping by. Yup, the little guy does the same for me.

- David

 

At Saturday, August 20, 2005, Blogger David Meigs

Donna,

You wrote:

“David...God knew what he was doing when he gave you John.”

You had it almost right. Darla is the only miracle worker in the family. You should watch the magic that flows between them. He loves to sing her love songs, nose to nose. It is something to watch him with his mummy. God bless, and thanks for stopping for a visit.


David