/************** REMOVE THIS TO UNHIDE THE BLOGGER NAVBAR **************** **/ #b-navbar {height:0px;visibility:hidden;display:none} /** *************************************************************************
April 17, 2006
posted by David Meigs at 4/17/2006 09:34:00 AM
.......
At 14, playing lead guitar was my whole world. I still remember the feel of my first Fender Stratocaster, my first Les Paul, my first Marshal stack and more than anything, the first time I played on a real stage...

If I could build a time machine, I’d go back to 1973. I was sixteen and it was the year I found Jesus. Besides dropping the names of a couple girls to stay away from and a few choice stock picks, I’d slap myself silly for giving up the guitar for God, when He never asked me to.

“The drum beat of rock music comes from Africa...” the pastor said. I remember wondering what was wrong with that? But, I was clearly presented with a choice. If I were to continue to play my guitar, it would have to be country gospel. What was the point? I gave it up.

It wasn’t until 1979 that I picked it up again, but it was too late. It was like learning to play all over again. I felt like such a fool. Life has so many regrets, and this would not be my last.

I let my boy Caleb DJ his music at Youth Group each week. He plays his Demon Hunter, Flyleaf, Haste the day and Thousand foot crutch, among others. The kids love it, and they love God too. I’ve never had a more “on fire” group of kids.

I am in awe of the talent of today’s Christian Artists. These guys get it. They’re like a new warrior cast, doing battle and winning in a war zone my generation went AWOL on.

Keep it up guys, rock on!
.......
 



13 Comments:


At Monday, April 17, 2006, Blogger jel

Rock ON!

hey David,
hope ya had a great weekend!

 

At Monday, April 17, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

jel - My weekend was busy, but great. I hope yours was a good one too.

 

At Monday, April 17, 2006, Blogger Rulan

Hi David. Wish I could have heard you play. I bet you would have rocked.

I threw out so many things when I became a Christian. Things that were supposedly evil were got rid of.

One thing I didn't throw out, was the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues. It's so sad that some churches fear the gifts of God. My daughter is learning to play the drums. lol

You are a godly man and the Lord loves you. One day, you will play your music for the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. On that day, no one will say it is evil.

May God bless you with peace and joy. Have a great week, my friend.

 

At Monday, April 17, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Rulan, - You probably wouldn't like the stuff I played. But thank you for the kind words.

 

At Monday, April 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous

David: Man, have I heard the "beat of rock music comes from Africa" line a bunch of times. It is still being used, but like you, I always ask, "So, what's your point?"

Still, you acted on what you felt God would have you do at the time and you should never regret that.

 

At Monday, April 17, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

blind beggar, - Thanks for the word of encouragement, but it still irks me, the illogic I've swallowed over the years.

Take care cousin.

 

At Monday, April 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous

speaking of music, believe it or not, i love drums better than the piano. and yeah, christian artists nowadays rock! wish i could hear you play your music.

happy easter, curm!

 

At Monday, April 17, 2006, Blogger M. C. Pearson

Yes, regrets are sad...but your writing is inspired, so God used your creative art in a different way. Christian music has come a long way. Thanks should go out to those bold artists of the 70's, 80's, and 90's...Petra, Keith Green, Amy Grant, Sweet Comfort Band, Stryper, U2, and more. Praise God for them all!

 

At Monday, April 17, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Pia, - I love the drums too, but I can't keep a beat, so I could never play them.



Mimi, - Thanks for the kind words. Still, I wish that I’d have followed my need to make noise with a 6-string when I was a kid. I got to do some as an adult, but it was too late for me to do my own thing.

There are some good people on that list of yours.

 

At Tuesday, April 18, 2006, Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun

I know all those bands on your list...Our youth group listens to all of them. They have a small band of their own Fight the Fall.

Personally my taste in music is calmer like Selah, Hillsongs, Allen Asbury, and New Song!

 

At Wednesday, April 19, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Bonnie, - I like your list too.

Thanks for including the link to your youth group’s band. I’m listening to their song now and they play really well. My kids would love them.

 

At Wednesday, April 19, 2006, Blogger ~michelle pendergrass

Let's see, 1973. I KNOW I would've liked the music you played back then. I know I was only a year old then, but I know what kind of music my uncle (more like my brother) listened to and I grew up listening to.

I love to listen to Van Zant!! That Leonard Skynard sound with that country twang but a definite rock appeal. I am SUCH a music buff.

Can't be too loud for me. LOL!

www.thevanzants.com

From their site:

With songs about sin, salvation, family, work ethic, values, independence and, of course, love, brothers Donnie and Johnny Van Zant make one big, bold statement on their debut outing for Columbia Nashville. And while these may be traditional country themes, Van Zant delivers them with in an often louder, sometimes more aggressive, always soulful manner not often heard in country music.

 

At Wednesday, April 19, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Michelle, - The Van Zant brothers are highly talented and in more ways than music.