/************** REMOVE THIS TO UNHIDE THE BLOGGER NAVBAR **************** **/ #b-navbar {height:0px;visibility:hidden;display:none} /** *************************************************************************
April 19, 2006
posted by David Meigs at 4/19/2006 01:38:00 PM
.......
Ok, it hurts me like fingernails on a chalkboard, but I still love it. I’ll explain...

The late eighties and early nineties were a weird time. Even in the middle schools, wannabe gang-bangers were dividing into crypts and bloods. Just wearing the wrong colors could get you shot in a drive-by. Everywhere you went, cars full of kids quaked under the thunder of rap.

We (YFC) brought in a Christian rap band called P. I. D. to do a middle school dance. We didn’t advertise it as a Christian event, so in the minds of the kids it was just another school dance.

The kids packed inside the middle school auditorium. They’d never had a live band before, and even better, it was a nationally recognized Rap band. You should have seen it. One guy spun records while the others marched around, rapping to the crowd. The kids went nuts.

Between songs, the guys gave their testimonies. I thought the kids would bolt for the doors, but they didn’t. They were mesmerized by the power of God reaching them for the first time. When the “alter call” was given, more than half of them came forward. It was powerful.

That weekend, we had the same rap band perform at our annual huge event at the local Six Flags. Thousands came out and hundreds came forward at the alter call. But, it was the middle school dance that did it for me. It was the day I learned to love rap music.
.......
 



7 Comments:


At Wednesday, April 19, 2006, Blogger Rulan

I'll try this again and hopefully it will go through this time.
Hi ya David.

I'm not into rap, but that's because I have limited taste and some sounds really do hurt my ears. But I am all for seeing the power of God reach into lost hearts through the sounds that they love. God is awesome.

Rock on David. God bless you.

 

At Wednesday, April 19, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Rulan, - Sorry for the troubles posting the first time.

It’s a good thing that God does not have our limited tastes for art or people. I know I for one, would be toast.

 

At Wednesday, April 19, 2006, Blogger Rulan

You and me both, bro. You and me both.

 

At Wednesday, April 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous

Hmm. You've got me on this one. Okay, I can like rap with this kind of result ... even one soul is worth it. I expect to sing with the throngs around the throne, but if we start rapping... Well, I guess God makes everything perfect, doesn't He?

God bless.

 

At Wednesday, April 19, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Cowboy sunsets, -

We who are tone deaf have learned to rap when we worship. It’s a good thing too. Trust me.

 

At Wednesday, April 19, 2006, Blogger ~michelle pendergrass

You've hit on one of my "things."

I am SO into rap. My Southern-Missouri-born-cowboy of a husband doesn't agree, but he's getting used to me.

I was just listening to KJ-52 (pronounced five-two, not fifty two) and Phil said, "Well...I'm sure you're son will like the CD, so the two of you can just listen together when I'm NOT in the vehicle with you!" www.kj52.com And I LOVE it that this guy is witnessing to Eminem (and all the others who listen) with his music.

God is so cool!! :)

 

At Wednesday, April 19, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Michelle, - Don’t feel bad.

My wife is a big country fan and I am learning to keep my mouth shut.