/************** REMOVE THIS TO UNHIDE THE BLOGGER NAVBAR **************** **/ #b-navbar {height:0px;visibility:hidden;display:none} /** *************************************************************************
January 27, 2006
posted by David Meigs at 1/27/2006 09:49:00 AM
.......

I’ve been struggling with this question ever since the “conversion story contest” over at Faith in Fiction. The discussion on the F*i*F board HERE and HERE, forced me to realize some things about myself that I was previously unaware of.

There were some excellent stories posted, and I loved them all. I have to admit though, many of them left me scratching my head. It’s not that they weren’t well written, because they were. In fact, they were all riveting and quite fun.

“What NEED was this story trying to address?” I would ask myself; scratch my head and move on to the next awesome story.

The answer eluded me for weeks, until I realized there was no hidden agenda in many of these stories. They were just well written stories that contained some kind of conversion aspect. This was all that was required and EVERYONE seemed to get it but me; well, nothing new here.

When I wrote “Samuel Jacobs”, I had a subconscious motivation. Before starting, I didn’t pray “Lord, help me to write a really good story”, I prayed “Lord, help me to write a story that will set a captive heart free”.

I was writing for a reader whose heart was locked in anger. My protag was ready to carry his hatred for God to the grave, until his love for his granddaughter unlocked the vault around his heart.

Any reader suffering the same kind of bondage would be impacted in the same way and hopefully be delivered. Any other reader would maybe shed a tear of joy, and simply think it was a nice story. But for the heart locked in anger, it was as simple as turning the right key. The rest would be in the hands of the Holy Spirit.

I admit, this was my first attempt at writing a short story; but I’ve written over a thousand messages to youth over the years. I’ve learned so many keys to unlocking the heart in bondage. But, is this kind of illustration better left to the pulpit?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not talking about selling out for the sake of entertainment of the greater masses. I can do entertaining; just try youth ministry without it. They will eat you alive! I’m talking about writing for the greater masses, and not some specific human need.

Hmmm........


.......
 



10 Comments:


At Friday, January 27, 2006, Blogger Rulan

If one doesn't write for some specific human need, then what happens to the impact that story would have had? Who's heart and situation will not be touched at a time when it is most needed and gratefully received? Whom are we writing for? God or people?

Why write, if not to reach out a hand for God to those who are hurting through a need that He has asked us to fill?

If we don't write for a specific need, then don't we miss sharing something God may have set on our hearts for the people that He wants to reach through us?

I would rather write and touch one heart for God, than to write for many and bless no one.

 

At Friday, January 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous

Curm, I agree with Rulan, just said!
you asked, should it be left for the pulpit? what if the person don't go to church, and this person pick up a book that you or someone wrote, telling them about God,
janice

 

At Friday, January 27, 2006, Blogger ~michelle pendergrass

Y'know, when I began to pray over that short story I wrote, I prayed that God would have me write only what He wanted me to write.

I thought I was going to have to drop out of the contest, then I woke in the middle of the night and KNEW and heard God speaking in heart what to write about. "The dream" At first I had to wake from my fog and then I realized OH THAT DREAM! It was a nightmare I'd had weeks before. It haunted me because I KNEW it meant something and it took a long time to figure out what.

So I changed the names and wrote out the dream. -dFm named it Fogbound for me because I suck at titles. (He's pretty good at it!) LOL.

Did it touch someone else? I pray it did. What I've found to be true is that it changed me. I wrote what He gave me. Just before I had figured out what the dream meant for my life. For my son's life. For our service to God. I entered a great contest and kept praying about what God wanted me to write. It was only after that contest that I found out it wasn't fiction I was to be focusing on right now. He brought that to my attention through the contest and several incidents after.

 

At Saturday, January 28, 2006, Blogger Refreshment in Refuge

Dear David... I see you are a deep thinker! I got your point in your story. It hit me because I had lived with anger for so very long. Not against God but against my ex-husband for literally ruining my credit, my reputation and my life... not only mine, but he was doing it to my kids as well. If a person loves God and possesses Jesus, then he cannot possibly harbor anger for long without it ruining the fellowship with God.

If you didn't get my point... it was about how God offers freedom from our earthly bondage and He takes us no matter how low we've fallen. We don't have to "get cleaned up" before we get God.

P.S. I loved your bear story. I had a similar one with a snake... big difference, I know :)

 

At Saturday, January 28, 2006, Blogger Refreshment in Refuge

I almost forgot... I LOVE your blog!!!

 

At Sunday, January 29, 2006, Blogger M. L. Archer

Great blog, Curm! I just think that as you write the best story you can, then God's Spirit in you will give you the words that will entertain the masses and speak to individuals whether you necessarily meant to or not!

 

At Sunday, January 29, 2006, Blogger Rulan

I agree with michele. Wish I had put it that way.

 

At Sunday, January 29, 2006, Blogger M. C. Pearson

Write what the Holy Spirit guides you to write and that will be the novel you are meant to write...right? God has an agenda too and uses us to work it. I have many reasons for my book and I pray most of them are guided by the Holy Spirit. I know it isn't perfect because I'm only human. That's why I have friends (like you) to help me by reading and making suggestions.

And, yeah. There were a few special needs that I wrote about...especially self-image, multi-cultural love, and spiritual warfare. So, I think most authors really do have some kind of agenda...something they need to say.

 

At Monday, January 30, 2006, Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun

Wahooo!!!!I can read your Blog without a headache...I put you on my blog updater!!!

I think you should always write under the promptimg of the Holy Spirit. that way you never go wrong. I'm a business person, where being PC is more of the norm, but sometimes I just have to let loose with the workings of God. More than once, the person staring at me, who I think is going to tell me to leave God out of it, will say, that was just what I needed to hear.

You've learned to hear the voice of God...following it in all that you do or write!

 

At Monday, January 30, 2006, Blogger Rulan

wow, so different. You've got me wondering if I should change my blog colors to.

Many blessings to you my friend. May God use you in mighty ways.