/************** REMOVE THIS TO UNHIDE THE BLOGGER NAVBAR **************** **/ #b-navbar {height:0px;visibility:hidden;display:none} /** *************************************************************************
December 27, 2005
posted by David Meigs at 12/27/2005 11:25:00 PM
When one gets as old as dirt, one Christmas memory melts into the next. Oh sure, there are a few that forever stand out; like when I was four and my little brother Stinky woke up in the middle of the night and opened all the presents. At the time, I thought all was lost but it became one of my favorite Christmas memories.

Christmas 2005 won’t be easily forgotten. It was 4:45 am and I was sleeping peacefully when the little Mrs. shook me awake. “Honey, the boys want to open their presents.”

“Coffee...” I croaked, and tried to focus my eyes. Outside the wind was howling and the rain pounded on the roof. So much for a white Christmas.

Everyone was seated on the couch next to the Christmas tree, their eyes fixed on the shiny presents. I took a sip of my coffee and Mamma blew the starter whistle. All I could see were elbows and paper flying. Then as the last present was opened, the power went out!

Caleb couldn’t listen to his new cd’s. Joshua stared bleakly at his new video game. It would have to wait. Little Johnny freaked; his autistic mind couldn’t understand why daddy wouldn’t just fix the electricity. It was a nightmare and the day had only just begun.

Dave Jr. called to tell me that his car broke down. The good news was it happened at his sister’s house. The bad news was that he was her ride. This year it was Chrysler and not Afghanistan or Iraq that kept us all from having Christmas together. The power never did come back on, at least not that day.

I couldn’t help but think about that first Christmas two thousand years ago. Poor pregnant Mary, still aching from the long journey gave birth in a stable. It must have been a rough time for mother and child, but it was the best Christmas ever.


Happy Birthday Jesus!


 



9 Comments:


At Wednesday, December 28, 2005, Blogger Rulan

curm, what a Christmas, eh? Sorry to hear you didn't get to spend Christmas with Dave jr and your daughter.
At times like these, I often wonder what may have been diverted because of what went wrong. Perhaps at heavens gates, the reason for it all will become clear. Who knows?
Anyway, it sounds like your boys like opening presants with great gusto. lol. I can almost hear you croak the word "coffee."
Many blessings, my friend.

 

At Wednesday, December 28, 2005, Blogger Rulan

Oops, I meant, averted not diverted. It's late and I should be asleep.

 

At Wednesday, December 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

things could have gone bad but we should look at the bright side of life. my friend told me to count my blessing instead of sheep.

God bless you always.

 

At Wednesday, December 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

sorry the light went out :(
I remember when I was little and my younger sister would get us up at 4:30 to open presents,
hope you have a great new year! :)
janice

 

At Wednesday, December 28, 2005, Blogger Refreshment in Refuge

Ah, well, David... Hope springs eternal, eh?

I think we just spent our last Christmas together as a family. My nephew has put down his foot that Santa will always come to their house, therefore they won't show up until afternoon. So my sister will, of course, spend Christmas morn with her grandchildren. Actually, the older I get the more I yearn for my Real Home and being with Jesus. I'm weary of the hassels. Just tell me where the turkey will fly in and I'll be there LOL.

 

At Wednesday, December 28, 2005, Blogger David Meigs

Kid, Pia, Janice and Gina...

Thanks for stopping by. I pray that the coming New Year brings you great joy!


PS - Gina, Let me know when the turkey lands.... you crack me up!

 

At Wednesday, December 28, 2005, Blogger upwords

Oh this was great! (Not the power going out, but just the reality of the story). Sorry the car wouldn't start too. Funny how all the electronic joy is silent without power. LOL
Mary G.

 

At Wednesday, December 28, 2005, Blogger David Meigs

Upwords – I had a cruel satisfaction in seeing the boys entertain themselves without their gadgets. Muhahaha

God bless! Thanks for stopping by.

 

At Friday, December 30, 2005, Blogger M. C. Pearson

Silent Night...Holy Night...All is calm...all is bright...well, at least the stars and sun were.