/************** REMOVE THIS TO UNHIDE THE BLOGGER NAVBAR **************** **/ #b-navbar {height:0px;visibility:hidden;display:none} /** *************************************************************************
October 24, 2005
posted by David Meigs at 10/24/2005 11:45:00 PM

Woohoo! My oldest son, David has returned home from Ft. Bragg NC. The Army is starting up a whole new unit not an hour from here, so mom and dad are mighty glad. The above picture was taken just after boot-camp, circa pre 9/11. It was during his third tour of Iraq that he “re-upped” a year ago for a second four years.

He has returned to us no longer the boy he was in this picture. The patch on his arm has a few more stripes and he has lost a little of the “gung-ho” attitude he began with, but there is much more to it.

I think the women of our church put it best, “he’s all man”, they said. It hit me that they were talking about more than the handsome man he’s become at twenty-five. He wears a “quality” that comes only from being tested by fire. It is the defining moment where a boy becomes a man. He learned about self sacrifice.

Jesus defined self-sacrifice on the cross. It is the point in time when one lays down their own life for the sake of others. In fact, I contend that a man cannot even “know” in his heart of hearts that he truly loves his wife until he’s been tested in the same fire. It’s the willingness to “lay down one’s life” that graduates a boy to true manhood.

Somewhere in those three trips to Iraq, he was purified in the crucible. Good for you son, I am proud!
 



8 Comments:


At Tuesday, October 25, 2005, Blogger Rulan

wow David, it is awesome to see a dad proud of his son and what great news to learn he will be closer to you all. Isn't God good? He loves us so much that He is willing to allow us to go through the fire so that we can grow to our full potental.

 

At Tuesday, October 25, 2005, Blogger David Meigs

Kid & Donna, Thanks for visiting! Yes it will be nice to have him so close to home. I can't stop smiling!

 

At Tuesday, October 25, 2005, Blogger Rulan

Smiles and laughter are as medicine to the soul.

 

At Saturday, October 29, 2005, Blogger M. C. Pearson

How AWESOME!!! I never went to the desert but I did some time overseas with the Bosnia thing. I can't believe he did three tours. What a great son you have.

 

At Saturday, October 29, 2005, Blogger David Meigs

M. C. Yes, Dave is a good son. You were in Bosnia? I spent some time there myself when it was part of the Soviet Union.

 

At Sunday, October 30, 2005, Blogger M. C. Pearson

Yeah, I'll post something later in my bio page about my lovely army experiences...suffice it to say, I was a Multimedia Illustrator, 25M (glorified term for an artist/go-fer), and my husband had just reclassified from being a Linguist (Russian, German, and SERBO-CROATION) to a clerk (he went from active to reserve). They sent the artist instead of the linguist who actually knew the language of the destination. It's the army. What can I say?

 

At Tuesday, November 01, 2005, Blogger David Edward

good post you are right to be proud
as we all are when young men and women serve and give and make our country a better place because of their sacrifices. Tell him thanks for serving his country. we appreciate it

 

At Wednesday, November 02, 2005, Blogger David Meigs

Thanks for stopping by David. God bless everyone serving their country. I'll pass on your kind comments.