/************** REMOVE THIS TO UNHIDE THE BLOGGER NAVBAR **************** **/ #b-navbar {height:0px;visibility:hidden;display:none} /** *************************************************************************
October 19, 2005
posted by David Meigs at 10/19/2005 01:58:00 PM
Husbands and wives do it; I do it, you do it (oh yes you do), we all do it. No matter which side of the tracks you come from, how much or little your education; you still do it. Even the Apostles did it.

What is this thing we all do? (I see you blushing)

We all are guilty of making God in our own image. Yep, you heard me right and no, I’m not advocating for some weird cult. I’m talking about seeing God through our own special-colored glasses.

Need an example? Let’s look at the way out world of denominations. Open up the yellow pages and in alphabetical order you’ll find enough different flavors to shame Baskins and Robbins. They can’t all be right.

Some worship on Saturdays, and others on Sundays. Some eat meat, and some don’t. Some dunk, while others sprinkle. One group stamps their feet and lifts their hands, while others are as quiet as a church mouse (sorry about that one). One group speaks Latin, and another with the tongues of Angels. Everyone has their own special take on the truth.

In Mark 8:32, Peter did it when he corrected Jesus about what was coming. Jesus said, “Get behind me Satan!” (Can you imagine what that felt like?) Paul did it when he persecuted the Church in the name of God.

We do it whenever we think that we can see clearly enough to judge someone else.
We do it when we define exactly how God can move today, and how He can’t.
We do it when we pray for things to be done our way, because after all, we know best.

“Oh Lord, forgive me for molding you into my own image.” Amen

 



7 Comments:


At Wednesday, October 19, 2005, Blogger Rulan

So very true my friend. Amazing things can happen, when we are small enough to let God be big enough to be God for us.

 

At Wednesday, October 19, 2005, Blogger jomo

David,
I thought you'd never post another one, but it was worth the wait. We keep trying to put God in our little boxes, and He keeps blowing the sides out. Way cool post. Do I sound like Jayleigh? She's my hero, you know!

 

At Wednesday, October 19, 2005, Blogger jomo

Next to Jesus, of course!

 

At Wednesday, October 19, 2005, Blogger David Meigs

Kiwi Kid - Thanks for stopping by. Kid, I loved the little saying you used in your comment. Excellent!

John - “Jayleigh and Jesus” are your super heroes? Wow! Just so you know, I consider you and the Kiwi Kid to be super heroes too.

 

At Thursday, October 20, 2005, Blogger Rulan

Awe shucks curm, that makes me feel all shy and humble. Just so you know, my super heroes include Jesus, you and John. Oh, and that little saying I used in my last comment, I had never heard it before I wrote it. It just seemed to fit and to be so true. God bless you my friend and may the Lord's mighty Angels watch over and protect you and your family.

 

At Thursday, October 20, 2005, Blogger Refreshment in Refuge

AMEN and AMEN! GREAT thought David.