/************** REMOVE THIS TO UNHIDE THE BLOGGER NAVBAR **************** **/ #b-navbar {height:0px;visibility:hidden;display:none} /** *************************************************************************
August 14, 2006
posted by David Meigs at 8/14/2006 10:48:00 PM
It took me about three and a half months to write my first draft and the rewrite only took about four months, but the editing process has taken over two years. Is it ever going to be finished? Argh!

I just finished making the changes suggested by the editor and now it is off to my writing partner, Rulan. She’s been a good sport about it all. This is her third time through the book. She’s a life saver and a true friend.

I’ve learned a few things in the “editing” process. First off, every time I make a change, I insert a few typos. It never fails. If I fix fifty different places in the book, a hundred and fifty typos spring up. Grrr. It’s like chasing my own tail. It never ends!

I also learned that changes don’t always make anything better... just different. It makes more sense just to leave it alone. That’s where I am at now. I’m not perfect and my book won’t be either. But I want it to be the best I can make it.

Here’s my question for all my writer friends... When is a book finished? How do you know?
 



11 Comments:


At Monday, August 14, 2006, Blogger Rulan

lol Bro. Me a good sport? I'll let you in on a little secret.

I am loving every minute of it. Every time I read through your book, it's almost like reading it for the first time. So much adventure and excitement. Your characters seem alive and those Blade boys are full of mischief. he he

I think it won't be much longer and your book will be ready to send out the door.

 

At Monday, August 14, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Thanks, my friend. Your help has been invaluable.

 

At Tuesday, August 15, 2006, Blogger Rebecca

When is a book done? When it's bound between two covers. Unless you get to make changes for a second edition. (But I guess that doesn't happen in fiction so much, so...)

From another editing addict. (We should form a support group.)

 

At Tuesday, August 15, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Rebecca, how about we call our support group “Alter Anonymous”. I know the “AA” thing is over done, but we wouldn’t stand out.

 

At Tuesday, August 15, 2006, Blogger jel

mornin David,
wish I could help ya, but we both know that I'm not a writer,

good day to ya! :)

 

At Tuesday, August 15, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Janice, thanks for stopping by!

 

At Tuesday, August 15, 2006, Blogger M. C. Pearson

It's finished when you start rewriting and it ends up the way it was in the beginning! LOL...I've rewritten about 20 times. I think that I'll be rewriting until it is published. :)

Right now, I'm done. Until I'm told otherwise from a publisher/editor/agent...I'm leaving it as it is.

Now I get to start back on writing the second book...if only I can find it on the hard drive? LOL.

 

At Tuesday, August 15, 2006, Blogger M. C. Pearson

Oh, I also learned that when you are ready to search for an agent/publisher, you MUST start at a Writer's Conference. The pubs that attend say that they look at manuscripts from agents first, conferees second, and slush pile last (if ever). So, it is very worth the investment of going to the conferences! And it is a bucko load of fun!

 

At Tuesday, August 15, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Mimi, thanks for the great advice. A conference, eh? Then I’ve got to do one.

 

At Wednesday, August 16, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

I know why you can’t find the “edit” button... There is a nut loose behind your keyboard.

(just kidding - lol)

 

At Tuesday, August 22, 2006, Blogger Shannon McNear

I would have said, when they pry your cold, clutching fingers off of the manuscript and stick a contract in its place ... but then you have editorial revisions and galleys to contend with. :-D