/************** REMOVE THIS TO UNHIDE THE BLOGGER NAVBAR **************** **/ #b-navbar {height:0px;visibility:hidden;display:none} /** *************************************************************************
July 17, 2006
posted by David Meigs at 7/17/2006 02:06:00 AM
Disclaimer: The parties involved are un-named, but have given their permission to share their story.



The phone call was sixteen years ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday.

“I heard you work with troubled teens. My fourteen year old daughter ran away. Can you help me find her?”
She said.

We prayed together over the phone and set up a meeting. Long story short, we found the daughter living with a thirty year old man, in a near by town. There are predators everywhere.

We started counseling sessions for both the daughter and her mom. It didn’t take long to understand why the daughter ran away. The stepfather took a claw hammer to the girl’s head.

It was an all too typical scenario. Mom wouldn’t break away from the abuser because he was the father of her two young girls. She’d raised the oldest girl alone and didn’t want to do that again. Besides, when he wasn’t on the drugs, he was a good father.

The stepfather landed back in prison for the assault, and after a few months Mom took a step of faith and filed for a divorce. Mom blossomed under the counseling and her new walk with God. So did the daughter; but her hurts run too deep. She needed a miracle.

The girl craved the love of her father. Her REAL father, not the one that beat her with a hammer. The problem was that he lived on the streets of a city three thousand miles away, and he didn’t want anything to do with her.

The poor girl was obsessed with the need for her dad. She traded sex with any boy or man who would hold her for a while. She had a great big gaping whole in her heart where her dad was supposed to be.

After six months of progress, she asked me the strangest question.

“David, can I spend the weekend with you?”

My brain was screaming NO WAY, but instead I gently asked her why?

“All my friends get to go spend the weekends with their dads, but I never have.”



Come back tomorrow for part two.

 



8 Comments:


At Monday, July 17, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Mine broke too!

 

At Monday, July 17, 2006, Blogger Rulan

This has always touched my heart. How are they doing now? I pray the Lord has filled that empty space and brought healing.

 

At Monday, July 17, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

How are they doing now? I better wait to answer on tomorrow’s post.

God answer’s prayer in powerful ways.

 

At Monday, July 17, 2006, Blogger Rulan

I thought you might say that. :)I shall look forward to your next post.

Good morning from kiwi land. It's 3:29 Tuesday morning here.

 

At Monday, July 17, 2006, Blogger Rebecca

Ok, AMAZING story here. The novel I'm reviewing on Friday (the author of whom I'm interviewing all week) over at my blog is about this exact sort of issue. A girl looking for something to fill her emptiness, and filling it with all the wrong things.

I will be back to find out what happens to the "real" version of the fictional girl in Kerry's novel.

 

At Monday, July 17, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Thanks Rebecca, and do come back for the rest of the story.

I’d planned to write about writing fiction that changes lives, but the Lord lead me to write about changed lives instead. Maybe someone needs to hear this? Only the Lord knows.

I’ve worked with a lot of young girls and boys that come from the same rendering pot of life as this young woman. We only see the battles, but God sees the whole war. Nothing is too hard for him.

I’ll be sure to read your review of Kerry’s novel. It sounds wonderful!

 

At Monday, July 17, 2006, Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun

Wonderful story, Curm...I can't wait for the ending...I think God will have a big hand in it! :-)

 

At Tuesday, July 18, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

Thanks Bonnie.

Hey, I love the series you're doing at your blog!